This course is an American Institute for Avalanche Research And Education (AIARE) Level 2 Avalanche Course: Analyzing Snow Stability and Avalanche Hazard. This AIARE 2 course is a 3-day program that provides backcountry leaders the opportunity to advance their avalanche knowledge and decision-making skills. It is designed for more-experienced recreational travelers and builds on the introductory avalanche hazard management model presented in the Level 1 course, adding to it the evaluation of factors critical to snow stability evaluation. Our class format caters to working professionals and students.
AIARE Avalanche Level 2 Course
- Three full days or 27 hours of instruction (including both class and field time), with some pre-class prep.
- Goal: Advance understanding of avalanche terrain, particularly from the perspective of stability analysis.
- Discuss how the snowpack develops and metamorphoses over time; and discuss the factors that contribute to spatial variability.
- Learn standard observation guidelines and recording formats for factors that influence or indicate snow stability. SWAG MODULE.
- Advance understanding of avalanche release and triggering mechanisms.
- Introduce a snow stability analysis and forecasting framework.
The course operates with a minimum of six participants and a maximum of 12. The AIARE Course Leader(s) will be Joshua Baruch or John MacKinnon. The number of AIARE Instructors will be based on the number of participants, with a maximum six-to-one ratio of students to instructor.
Dates and Times: Indoor classes are held Friday – Sunday. We will meet at 8:00 am on the first day at our Boulder headquarters (6560 Odell Pl #D, Boulder, CO 80301). Field days, which are either in Rocky Mountain National Park or Roosevelt National Forest, will meet from 7:00 am – 5:00 pm after the first day.
Dates: March 8-10 (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Note: We will offer an AIARE Avalanche Rescue 1-day course prior to this Level 2 course (this day is an additional charge). AIARE Avalanche Rescue is a prerequisite for AIARE Level 2.
Rate: $525 per participant. SPECIAL OFFER: Refer a friend who registers for the same course and receive one $25 discount for your course.
Included in our rates: All instruction and AIARE course materials (Student Manual and weatherproof AIARE field book), for AIARE Level 2 course. AIARE Certified Course Leader and Instructors. Use of BCA beacon, shovel, and probe if needed. AIARE certificate of completion. Course materials will be provided the first day of class.
Not included in our rates: Transportation, meals, or personal gear. *** The first 10 people to register for each course will receive free use of a beacon, shovel, and probe during the course.***
A gear list will be sent upon confirmation of course registration, and we’re happy to help arrange for personal gear if you do not have it. You may purchase a BCA slope meter from us for $20 at the time of registration or $25 during the course.
Instructors: Joshua Baruch (Course Lead) and Instructors TBA.