Level 2 Avy Course – AIARE Avalanche Education
TRIP DATE: March 3rd-5th (Friday – Sunday), 2023
This accredited American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE) AIARE Level 2 course helps develop essential decision-making skills for avalanche hazard management. Advance your avalanche education to the next level. AIARE Avalanche Rescue is a prerequisite for AIARE Level 2.
All courses fill up, so register early!
Please Book class 1 person at a time. For multiple people, add 1 new class to cart for each person before checking out.
AIARE Level 2 Course – Colorado Wilderness Rides & Guides
TRIP DATE: March 3-5th, 2023
- Small Class Size (*7 people max)
- Three full days or 27 hours of instruction (including both class and field time), with some pre-class prep.
- Goal: Advance understanding of avalanche terrain, particularly from the perspective of stability analysis.
- Discuss how the snowpack develops and metamorphoses over time, and discuss the factors that contribute to spatial variability.
- Learn standard observation guidelines and recording formats for factors that influence or indicate snow stability. SWAG MODULE.
- Advance understanding of avalanche release and triggering mechanisms.
- Introduce a snow stability analysis and forecasting framework.
- Instructors: Joshua Baruch (Course Lead) and Instructors TBA
- Prerequisite(s): AIARE Avalanche Rescue Course.
*Class size may increase to 12 or 14
Free $25 Credit: Refer a friend who also registers for the same course and receive one $25 credit. Due to high demand, any changes after registration will incur a $50 change fee. **There are no refunds or make-ups for missed days.**
2022/2023 Level 2 Course
- Friday – Sunday- March 3rd-5th
Note: AIARE Avalanche Rescue is a prerequisite for AIARE Level 2. We offer multiple AIARE Avalanche Rescue 1-day courses dates prior to this Level 2 course (additional charge).
Rate: $675 per participant. Due to high demand, any changes after registration will incur a $50 change fee. **There are no refunds or make-ups for missed days.**
Times: Field days, which are either in Rocky Mountain National Park or Roosevelt National Forest, will meet from 7:00 am – 5:00 pm after the first day.
Prerequisite(s): AIARE Avalanche Rescue is a prerequisite for AIARE Level 2.
Group Size: The course operates with a minimum of six participants and a maximum of 12. The AIARE Level 2 Course Leader(s) will be Joshua Baruch or John MacKinnon. The number of AIARE Instructors will be based on the number of participants, with a maximum six-to-one ratio of students to instructor.
Gear List: A gear list will be sent upon confirmation of course registration. We’re happy to help arrange for personal gear if you do not have it. You may purchase a BCA slope meter from us for $20 at the time of registration or $25 during the course.
Included in our rates: All instruction and AIARE course materials (Student Manual and weatherproof AIARE field book) for AIARE Level 2 course. AIARE Certified Course Leader and Instructors. Use of BCA beacon, shovel, and probe if needed. AIARE certificate of completion. Course materials will be provided the first day of class.
Not included in our rates: Transportation, meals, or personal gear. *** The first 10 people to register for each course will receive free use of a beacon, shovel, and probe during the course.***